Heading to Bangkok From Europe: A Look Inside My $500 a Month Apartment
Chapter 1: The Move & Motivation
When I turned twenty, I felt like I was at the start of something new. I wanted something different for my life. Staying in my small town and doing the same thing every day was not what I wanted. I needed to try something new. I wanted to feel alive and learn new things about the world and myself. That is when I started to think about Bangkok. The city was more than just a place on a map. For me, it showed the idea of being free, finding good things in life, and seeing new things I had never seen before.
I did not make the choice to move abroad by myself without a lot of thought. I spent many nights thinking about the good and bad sides of it. I kept asking myself, What if I fail? What if I feel very alone? Will I be safe? These worries stayed with me for some time, but soon there was more curiosity and excitement in me. I always loved travel. As a child, I liked looking at travel magazines and watching shows about faraway places. Now it was time for me to make my dream real.
One reason I picked Bangkok was because it was easy on the wallet. I grew up in a home where watching every dollar was important. The idea that I could live well on about $470 each month sounded very good to me. With this money, I could pay for rent, food, rides around the city, and have a bit left over for fun. I got to enjoy all the main things in life and some small treats, too, without worry about money.
But money was not everything for me. It also had to do with independence. I moved to another country at age 20. I did this all by myself. It was the first time I stepped out like this. I had to get ready in my mind for what was next. This kind of move makes you face your fears. It also helps you grow and look for new things.
I started to feel different when I let go of doubt. I kept asking myself if I was brave enough. I also wondered if I could stay so far from my family for a long time. I was not sure if I would make friends in a new place. These ideas were in my head at first. But soon, I wanted new things more than I was scared.
I knew that when you be open to change, you also feel some change that is not easy. I had to find my way on new streets with only Google Maps to help me. I had to try to order food in Thai when I could not speak the language. There is a need to be quick to learn new customs. I saw new ways of living, too. I even had to deal with hot weather in the dry season.
I was not just focused on growing as a person. I also wanted to reach real goals. Thailand has a strong and growing economy. This gives good chances to work in areas like digital marketing and remote freelance jobs. It is a great place for someone who wants to work and see new places at the same time.
I have always loved travel. It makes me feel alive each time I get ready to go or book a ticket. But this move is more than just going to new spots. I want to live somewhere for a while and really feel what it is like there. I want to be part of a place full of culture and chances for new things.
At the time, the choice seemed easy. Why not go for it now? Life can change fast. If you wait for the right time, you might never leave your comfort zone.
So how did passion play a part in this choice? My love for trying new foods made me want to eat street food every day instead of only going out to eat once in a while at home. I also got very interested in Southeast Asian history, so I wanted to go see temples and markets often. I did this instead of just reading about them on the internet.
Also, the use of tech was key. Working from home let me set my own schedule. I could plan the days around trips to see places, instead of sticking to set work hours. This freedom made Bangkok cost less and feel open. You can enjoy life there, without being held back by usual jobs.
All these things together made me feel a strong need to go to Bangkok. The city is full of life and feels easy for someone like me who is new to money and friends.
When getting ready to leave, I had to do some real things. I made sure to get visas early, so I would not feel stressed at the last minute. I read up on places where young expats like to stay, looking for safe spots and places that were easy to live in. I learned some easy Thai so I could talk to people each day. I put money aside so I could pay for things at the start. In my mind, I thought about times when things might go bad and how to stay calm if that happened.
This chapter is not only about planning things. It is also about your way of thinking. You need to listen to your thoughts before you go on this big adventure. When you move to a new country by yourself, you do more than change where you live. You change how you see the world.
I put my stuff in two bags. One had clothes for warm weather. I felt more excited, like a strong spark running through me. I knew I would soon walk busy streets full of scooters going around tuk-tuks. This idea made me feel both happy and a bit nervous at the same time.
Leaving behind familiar faces, even for a short while, means saying bye to what feels safe. This safety can be found at home or in school routines you have known since you were small. Still, there is something that makes you feel assured deep down. You know this journey is not just running away. It is you choosing to grow, to learn how to be independent, and to feel what it is like to deal with new and unexpected things at a young age.
I look back now after months in the busy streets of Bangkok. There are bright lights and many smells in the night markets. I see that my first motivation gave me a base to build on for everything that happened after. I worked to feel at home in a new place. At the same time, I kept big dreams in my heart. These dreams were bigger than any border or how much money I had. I did not move just because I had to or because of hard times. I moved because I was full of curiosity. Most of all, I believed that somewhere far away, there are chances that you need to go after with all you have.
Chapter 2: Finding a Place to Live
Moving to Bangkok was a big change for me. Before my new life could start, I needed to find a place to live. I was 20 years old and had little money, so I had to think hard about where I would stay. Picking the right apartment was important, as it would affect everything for me. I learned a lot while renting there. I found out it was important to think about how easy it is to get around, learn how renting works in the city, and try to get both comfort and a good price.
I started my search on the internet. Sites like DD Condo helped me a lot for looking at homes in Bangkok. On these sites, I could see clear photos, read floor plans, and check prices. These tools were good for me, since I was far away from where I wanted to stay. I spent many hours looking at different places in parts of the city like Tonglor and Ekkamai. These areas are lively, have good transport, and the things people need every day are close by.
At first, I wanted condos that looked fancy. They had swimming pools and gyms. But when I looked into it more, I saw that my budget was about $470 each month, or close to 15,500 Baht. I then knew that I had to wait to get something high-end. So, I started to look for a place that was good for my wallet, safe, and easy to get to.
I found that many landlords in Bangkok like to rent out their places with the help of estate agents or by talking to people directly on websites. These ways made the process much easier for me. The agents took care of talking with the landlord and handling the paperwork, which would have been hard for me to do on my own. For example, I reached out to an agent that other expats had suggested, and they had also rented close by before.
One big thing that made me choose this place was how close it is to transport like MRT stations or BTS Skytrain lines. Bangkok traffic gets really bad at busy times. If you live near public transit, you don’t have to deal with long trips and you save money because you don’t need to use taxis or motorbike taxis every day.
When I saw apartments, either in person or with online tours set up by agents, I looked for some main things. I wanted good air flow because Bangkok is often hot and damp. I also needed steady internet, since I have to work online. A safe entrance and lots of sunlight were important, too. Safety was huge for me, so I checked for strong locks and bright hallways, because I want to feel safe when I live by myself in a new country.
At first, I thought about sharing an apartment with other expats or locals. This could help me save more money, and maybe I would make friends faster. But in the end, I said no to this. Sharing means you get less privacy. You also have to give up some space for yourself. I wanted this move to be about being on my own and trying something new.
I looked for my first apartment by leaving the noise of highways in the outer areas. I went into quiet places closer to the city center. Life in the city felt busy but better to me.
The first place I saw was above a busy road. It was bright, but there was a lot of sound at night. The windows did not keep the traffic noise out. This was not a good place for me to stay for a long time. So, a few days after I came to Bangkok with just some of my things, I decided to move again.
The second place was a better option for me. It was smaller, but it was much cleaner. There was better soundproofing as well. The rooms looked in toward a yard instead of being next to busy roads. Because of this, there was not a lot of noise. The place was still close to MRT stations, and that was something I had to have. So, it would not take a lot of time or money to get to work every day.
Renting a place by myself was better for me than living with others at this time in my life. I could choose how things were in my home. There was no need to always talk about things like cleaning or dealing with noise. These things mattered a lot as I was living in a new country alone for the first time.
The rental process had a few steps with paperwork. You needed to give copies of your passport and proof of income, even if the money came from remote work. A security deposit was needed. This was usually for one month’s rent, but sometimes it was for two. You had to sign lease papers. Most of them were written in Thai, or had forms in both languages. So you had to read them carefully or get help with translating.
After moving into my new condo, I had a one-bedroom unit that was easy to keep up. I started to think about how I could make it feel like home without spending too much. I wanted it to work well for everyday life, too.
Looking back now, picking that apartment was a big step for me to start living on my own in a new country. This one choice helped me set up my daily work routines and take part in cool things around Bangkok. I got to learn about the city’s bustling culture. Because I planned well when searching for a place, I was able to keep my money in order, too.
In summary:
Online platforms like DD Condo are good places to start.
Picking places close to transport helps you save time and money.
- Safety features & natural light matter.
- Personal comfort trumps luxury when budgeting.
To move fast, you need to be flexible. But to feel good about what you do, you must also make smart choices.
Finding the right home was not just about the building. It was part of my path to feel at home in a new country when I was 20 years old. I was living in one of Southeast Asia’s busiest cities. With each step, I learned that when you make careful choices, you can turn a strange place into a space that feels safe. It can be a place where you start each day with new things to see and do.
Chapter 3: Cost of Living Breakdown
Living in Bangkok when you are twenty years old and have about $470 a month may feel hard at first. But for me, it was a time that showed just how much this little money can do if you plan well and watch how you spend it. In this part, I will share all of my monthly costs. This will help other people who want to go on trips like this too. You can see how living in the busy capital of Southeast Asia can really be good for your wallet.
Rent was the biggest thing I had to pay for the most. But it was still easy to handle. I got my condo for about 15,500 Baht a month (around $470). It is close to Thonglor, a busy and fun area that you can get to without trouble. The price is much lower than what you would pay in Western cities or lots of other Asian cities. The trick is to pick a place that is not too fancy but is comfortable enough for you to feel at home.
Food costs are another big part of living expenses, but in Bangkok, the street food is good and does not cost a lot. I spent around 5,000 Baht ($150) each month on the food I bought and meals I ate out. There are many street vendors who sell tasty meals like Pad Thai or Som Tum for less than 50 Baht ($1.50), so you can eat well without spending a lot of money. When I wanted to make food at home, I would go to places like Or Tor Kor or Tesco Lotus. There, you can get fresh vegetables, rice, noodles, and meals without meat, which helps keep prices low and the food fresh.
Transportation was another area where I could save money fast. Bangkok has a good public transit system. The BTS Skytrain and MRT subway lines are clean, and they work well. My apartment was close to the Thonglor MRT station. So, I was able to get around easily. I did not need taxis or motorbike taxis all the time. A monthly pass for the trains cost me around 1,300 Baht ($40). This is much cheaper than having a car or taking taxis often for long trips.
I also used other ways to get around from time to time. Some days, I took Grab rides late at night or when I had bags with me. This helped a lot. Most of the time, I saved money by planning my trips. During the day, I used public transport because it was good enough. This kept me in my budget.
I spent some of my money each month on things that are fun. This part of my budget was about 4,500 Baht ($135). I paid for the gym, which was around 1,200 Baht ($36) a month. I also met friends at cafes two or three times a week. I liked watching movies at local cinemas. A ticket was about 120 Baht ($3). I spent some time reading books or just walking around different neighborhoods.
The price of things like electricity and water was not too high because I was careful with how I used them. My power bill was about 2,000 Baht ($60) during the hot months. I used ceiling fans instead of air conditioning most of the time. A good air purifier helped keep the air clean inside and my costs did not go up by much.
The internet speed was good and steady. This is important if you need to work from home. The price was about 700 Baht ($21) each month from local companies like AIS or TrueMove H.
Miscellaneous expenses covered things like toiletries bought from local markets. These usually cost around 500 Baht, or $15. Sometimes, I shopped for clothes at markets like Chatuchak Weekend Market. This only happened about one or two times each year. For small emergencies, such as minor repairs in the condo, the cost was low. Each time, it was just a few hundred baht.
Putting everything together: rent is about 15,500 THB ($470). Food costs are around 5,000 to 6,000 THB ($150 to $180). Getting around takes about 1,000 to 2,000 THB ($40 to $60). Fun or entertainment usually comes out to 4,000 to 5,000 THB ($130 to $150). Utilities add up to 2,000 THB ($60). Internet is about 700 THB ($21). My total costs for a month stayed just under 20,000 Thai baht, which is close to $600. But keep in mind, this amount has some extra spending. If you spend less on going out or eat more street food instead of always going to cafes, you can live well here for even less.
The good thing about how you can live cheap in Bangkok is not just because you save money. You get more from your life without spending too much. The costs are low here when you compare them to Western prices. Things like spa days or trips on the weekend cost less. So, you can try new things that make your life better and you do not need to spend a lot.
This breakdown shows that living abroad when you are young does not mean you have to give up comfort or fun. It is about making smart choices based on what matters to you. For me, I picked an apartment that was close to buses and trains. This made it easy for me to get around and see new places. I ate street food because it gave me real taste and was not expensive. I used public transport and not taxis. I spent time in free outdoor spots like parks or rooftop gardens to relax. All this helped me keep my costs low, so I could save money while I went to other places in Southeast Asia during weekends when I was not at work.
To sum up, if you are thinking about moving to another country but do not want to spend a lot, Bangkok can be a good choice. If you need to see that life can be cheap outside Western countries, this is the place. Bangkok lets you get a lot for your money. You do not have to give up comfort or fun. With a little planning and by being open to local customs, like food, you can see how active life is here. Living here is possible for your wallet as well.
Chapter 4: Condo Tour Content
Stepping into my Bangkok condo feels a bit like entering a small but useful sanctuary. It’s not big or fancy, but it has all I need for a comfortable life. This is important, because my budget is around $470 a month. As I walk through the space, I want you to know what it’s really like to live here. I will talk about the setup and the small things that make it feel like home.
The first thing you see when you come in is the open-plan look. The condo is about 28 square meters. This may feel small to people from the West, but it is just right for me. The living space goes right into the kitchen. There is enough room for a small sofa and a coffee table. The place feels cozy, but it also feels open because there is a lot of daylight that comes in from big windows. In the day, the sun fills the room, which makes it bright and happy. At night, I turn on some warm LED lights. These give the room a soft and cozy feel.
The kitchen area is small but made well. The space works for you with a little electric stove that has two burners. This lets you cook simple food. The small fridge sits under the counter. The counter does not give you much room, but it is enough to make food without any trouble. What I like about it is how easy it is to clean. Tiles are put on the wall by the stove and sink. This makes it easy to wipe down and keep clean.
One big reason I picked this condo was that I can get vegetarian food. That is something I need because I want to eat healthy and do the right thing. I live abroad, so good choices are important to me. It's good that there are a few local markets close to me. They sell fresh food every day.
The condo does not have an oven or microwave. That is ok for me. I use hot water and simple appliances for cooking. This makes things easy.
I keep most of my important things for daily tasks in one corner of the unit. This is where you will find the bathroom and the laundry area. The bathroom has up-to-date features. There is a shower that has strong water flow and I can change the temperature. I like to take hot showers after I have been walking around Bangkok or working for hours on my job.
One thing you will see here is the air purifier by the toilet. Many people living outside their own country might need this. In Thailand, the weather can be hot and wet. There can also be some bad air from traffic or storms. This air purifier keeps the space fresh. It also keeps any bad smell away.
Next to this is where things start to get good. I have my own laundry area with a washing machine. It fits right into a small space by the bathroom door. This really helps when you live in a small place and do not want to go out to wash your clothes often. The machine is quiet and works well. I put my clothes in after I eat breakfast or before I go to sleep.
Stepping out onto my balcony shows my favorite part of this apartment—the view of Bangkok’s skyline near Chao Phraya River. I can see tall buildings glow when the sun goes down. Boats move along below, always busy. It makes me feel the city is full of life.
The balcony is not big. There is just enough room for me and some folding chairs. It is perfect to sit out for short breaks between work. I also like to use it after dinner to relax and watch the city lights at night.
Now let’s talk about furniture. It is simple but useful. My bed fits well against one wall. It is a twin bed with a basic frame I bought at a furniture shop near where I live in Tonglor. This shop focuses on making things easy, not fancy. The prices for furniture there are not high, so most people can get what they need.
For storage, I use several plastic bins under my bed. I also have shelves on the wall bought from shops nearby. These help me save space and let me get things, such as books or soap, fast.
Another practical thing to talk about is the utilities. Electricity bills are usually not high. This is because everything works well. LED lights use less power. Water needs stay easy to handle. People learn good habits with water when they first move in.
Internet connection is very important for both work-from-home and keeping in touch with others. I get my service through a fiber line from a big company in Thailand. It costs about 600 Baht, or around $17, each month. Having steady internet means there are no breaks during Zoom calls or while I watch shows about Thai culture late in the day. This is important when your apartment is also where you work!
Overall comfort features include ceiling fans in each room corner. They move air well and stay quiet. There are several lighting options, so I can set different moods. I use these when I work during the day and when I relax at night. I like to listen to Thai jazz on Bluetooth speakers placed close to me.
One thing many new people may think about when they rent apartments here is safety—the security in Bangkok condos made for expats is high. Some may feel worried about fire safety in big buildings. Do not worry. My place has new fire alarms that work well. There are also maps in the hallways that show how to get out fast if needed. Building managers care about the safety of people living here. They know that people want to feel safe, not just find a place that is easy on the wallet.
In short, you can live well on $470 each month, and it can feel good too. You have to look at the way you set up your place. Make smart choices to use the space well and keep things easy but useful. This condo shows that if you plan things the right way, people like me can do more than just get by in Bangkok. You can feel good, even though you do not have a lot of money to spend. The things you can get here for this price may be much better than what you would get in many other places.
This online tour hopes to show what you can do with your money and help people feel inspired. It is for those who want to see Southeast Asia in person but do not want to spend too much. My apartment is a simple place when you look at the big, fancy rooms you see online. But it is easy to use and helps me have better days. A place like this can feel better than a hotel, and it works well if you are staying in another country for a long time.
Chapter 5 - Lifestyle & Daily Routine
Living in Bangkok at twenty has made me see things in a new way. It has a big effect on how I set up my daily routine with the right mix of work, getting out to see things, and taking breaks. When I got here, I quickly saw that I had to make a daily plan. A good schedule is not just about getting work done, but it helps me feel at home in a new place and get the most from my days here. In this part, I will talk about what a regular day is like for me. I will share how I fit into Thai culture, and how I do this even though there are times when I do not understand the language. I will tell you about the small habits that keep me steady and happy in the middle of this busy and bright city.
I start my mornings at about 7:30 or 8:00 AM. I wake up in my condo with a view of the Bangkok skyline. The view from my balcony during sunrise always makes me feel both fresh and at peace. I never get tired of it. Each time I see it, I feel that the day ahead will be full of new things. After I get up, I spend around fifteen minutes doing some light stretching or taking time to clear my thoughts. It helps me feel ready for the day and keeps my mind clear of the stress that can come with moving to a new place.
Breakfast is simple but planned. Living on a budget means I make most meals at home. I do not eat out every day, even though Bangkok’s street food is always very tempting. Having my own kitchen is now a big part of my day. I keep good vegetarian choices on hand because I like to eat healthy and not spend too much money. Most mornings, I have jasmine rice with stir-fried vegetables or fresh fruit I get from our markets. It is less expensive and usually tastes better than what you get in most stores from the West.
After I finish breakfast, I get ready to start my work. My main goal here is to work from home and see more of Southeast Asia. I like to leave my condo in the late morning. I look for a good place to work. Many times, I pick a co-working space close by. Sometimes, I use a lounge area in my building if it is not too busy and you can have some peace there. Co-working spaces in Bangkok do not cost much. Many charge about $3 to $6 each hour or you get a day pass that works for any budget.
I usually work there for several hours. I reply to emails, write content, and plan travel plans. I do whatever tasks I have that day. The people around me are also remote workers. That makes the place feel like a community, even if we do not talk to each other all the time. We are all here because we want freedom and to work on our own, just like I do.
Lunchtime changes based on how busy I am with work or errands. Sometimes I get food from street vendors. They have tasty pad thai or som tam (green papaya salad). These meals cost less than $2. They help me enjoy the real Thai taste that makes eating in Bangkok feel so good. Other times, I cook at home if I bought groceries earlier in the week.
I spend my afternoons looking at different parts of city life. I also do social things that help me feel part of the culture, while I keep up with work. For example, I might go to local temples like Wat Arun or Wat Pho once or twice each week. I do this not just to see the sights, but to find time for calm and thought in the middle of my busy day. If there are any community events, I will join them too.
Making Thai friends is one of the best parts of living here. In the beginning, I found it hard because I did not speak the language well. Speaking simple Thai words helped me a lot. Now, I feel good ordering food. Still, it can be hard to feel close to people because their culture and the way they act can be new to me. This is true when I was new and did not know much about their ways.
I wanted to feel more at home, so I started going to language exchange events on Meetup.com. At these meetups, locals practice English, and they help people like me learn Thai. People sit together, drink coffee, talk, and laugh. Every person shares some stories. After many times at these gatherings, I feel like small cultural problems got easier. A few people I met at these events are now true friends. They welcome me to their homes during special festivals like Songkran or Loy Krathong.
Even with all the work to help people fit in, there are still problems each day. The high level of pollution is tough for many people, and many who move here feel bothered by it. Traffic jams are another big issue. It can be hard to know how long your drive will take. Even going a short way can take a long time because the roads stay so busy. There are often many motorcycles moving between cars in a way that makes driving feel disordered.
To help with stress from these things—which are not unusual just because I am young—I have started doing things to keep my mind clear. I get regular exercise at rooftop gyms that are not expensive if you compare them to ones in the West. When I work late at night, I listen to Thai music to feel calm. I learned this from people who live here. I also practice being mindful as I take walks by the river near Saphan Taksin station. The view helps me feel better after spending long hours stuck in traffic. Sometimes, I just go outside for a break when I can.
Evenings are often for fun and relaxing things to do. These times are not just for fun. They help me learn more about the culture here too. I like to watch the sunset from gardens on the roof near the Chao Phraya River. When I look out at the view, I see how much I have changed since I got here. It shows me that each moment I spend getting used to things makes life feel deeper and better than just thinking about money.
Sometimes, I like to go out for fun. For example, I get ice cream from street stalls after dinner. I also walk through busy night markets where you can find many things, like clothing, accessories, and souvenirs. Sometimes, I join friends at bars close by. There is live music, and it plays until late at night. But I still try to not do too much. These times help me feel closer to others in this city. It is all part of enjoying life in Thailand’s friendly new place, even though I had some hard times at first when I changed my old ways abroad.
Structure is important for getting things done and feeling good. But I have learned that being flexible is just as important when you live alone in another country at a young age. Sometimes, plans change because the weather is not what you expected. Other times, new friends may ask you out for fun, even if it is not part of what you planned. So, it helps to stay open and go with the flow.
In short, to make a good lifestyle, you need balance in your life. Be open and have some rules, too. Work hard when you have to, but also take time for things that help you grow. This will help you learn more than if you just look at things without getting to know them. Living "Bangkok Bound" can move from just being there to really living and enjoying each day.
Chapter 6: Challenges & Lessons Learned
Moving to a different country when I was twenty was supposed to be a big adventure. I thought it would bring freedom and I would get to remake who I am. But not long after, I found out that living there was not only about fun and new things. There were a lot of tough times too. When I look back at my days in Bangkok, I see that taking on these hard moments was very important. It was not just to keep going, but it also helped me grow for real.
This story is about the troubles I met and what they showed me. These things have changed how I feel about living abroad. I hope when you read this, it helps you get ready if you plan to go on the same path.
I started to feel homesick not long after I got here. It was tough to be so young and so far from all I knew. I missed my family talking at dinner, hearing their voices, and the daily things we used to do together. When I first saw the sunsets over Bangkok, they were exciting. After two weeks, I felt lonely sitting and watching them by myself in my condo. Missing my loved ones was not the only thing. It also hit me that now I had to take care of everything for myself. This was a big change for me.
To help with these feelings, I tried to make routines that kept me grounded. I made daily video calls home. These calls soon felt special. They let me remember where I am from and made me feel close to my family, even though we were far apart. I also tried to bring a bit of home into my new place. I cooked food like we had back home or played music that took me back to my childhood days.
But feeling homesick was not the only thing that was hard. Meeting people and making friends was tough, too. At first, I thought learning Thai would make things easier. I spoke Thai well after months of practice. Still, it was hard to build real friendships. Speaking the language does not mean you will fit in or be accepted. A few times, not understanding each other led to weird or confusing moments.
I learned that to build trust, you need to take your time and put in work. It is not just about speaking the language. I went to local events and did volunteer work. These things helped me meet people in Thailand who were open to foreigners like me. They saw that I wanted to really be part of their group, not just watch from the outside like a tourist or someone staying for a short time.
Safety worries came up too. This was more true after there were small accidents near tall buildings when earthquakes happened in places like Japan or Indonesia. Even though Bangkok is safe for expats who are careful—like not walking in dark alleys late at night or making sure their things are safe—I started to think a lot about every little thing at first.
I had to add more safety to feel safer. I put more locks on the doors. I put security cameras outside my condo window, too. I did not end up needing them, but they did help me feel calm. I also kept up with the local news to see if there was anything strange going on where I live.
Pollution is another problem that does not go away. A lot of people who move here soon find that they have to learn how to deal with it, as they cannot get rid of the problem fully. Air quality can go up or down a lot, based on the weather or how much traffic there is that day. On days when there is a lot of smog, it can be hard to breathe, even inside, if you leave the windows open because you are used to doing so.
To deal with this, I had to get air purifiers. This was not just to feel good in my home, but also to help with my health. When I go outside during high pollution times, I put on a mask. This way, I can still explore the city and not worry about having breathing problems.
Dealing with being alone while trying to grow as a person was the hardest part for me during this time. When you live in a new country, it is easy to give all your time to work or trying new things. But if you do not take care of how you feel, you can start to feel tired and down. This risk gets bigger when you are young and in a new place by yourself.
I feel good when I write in my journal every day. I write about what I learn each day. The kind words from people in the area make me feel accepted with time. At first, talking with them felt a bit strange or not very deep, but their welcome helped me feel part of the group.
Also, making small and doable goals helped keep me motivated. For example, I learned five new Thai phrases every week. I went to one social event each month. I tried different local food besides pad thai. Doing these things helped me feel good about speaking the language and meeting people.
The things I learned from these hard times have shaped how I live now, both in the busy streets of Bangkok and any place I go next. There will always be things that feel hard when you do something new. These moments push you and help you grow, but they also teach you a lot about how to adjust and find your own strength.
The most important thing is that getting over homesickness helped me learn to handle my feelings better. I learned that feeling lonely does not last forever if you try to make new friends or keep in touch with people back home. I also found out that being independent means you have to take care of your feelings, not just deal with things like safety or worries about pollution.
I learned from my own time with social barriers that you must be patient. Not everyone will at once accept you as a friend. But if you keep trying, you can build real relationships. These connections come from truly understanding each other and not just talking for the sake of it or to show your language skills.
Handling safety fears showed me something important. If I stay aware and take action, I feel safer. I learned it's better to feel safe by getting ready than by just staying away because I feel scared.
Living with pollution in this city has shown me how being able to adjust is not only helpful, but you really do need it. It's the only way to stay healthy while also enjoying the culture and all the things the city has to offer. This place is busy and full of surprises, so you have to find your own way to enjoy life here.
These lessons all connect to why living in another country is so important. Each challenge let me get to know Bangkok better. At the same time, I also learned more about myself.
These hard times made me go past what I first thought I could do. I learned more about myself. I also got stronger in ways that help me handle big parts of life when I am away from home.
If you are thinking about taking this step, it does not matter if you are young like me at 20 years old or a bit older. The main idea is this: know that there will be hard times, but do not see them as things that stop you. You can see these moments as chances to learn more about who you are. In the end, you can grow strong even when facing tough times.
Chapter 7: Advice for Others
When I was twenty, I chose to move to Bangkok. For me, this was not just leaving my comfort zone. It was starting a new time of life on my own. I wanted some adventure and to learn more about myself. Now, when I think back, I see that many young people want to live in another country. A lot of them feel scared and do not know how to begin. My time in Bangkok gave me important lessons. I want to share what I learned because it can help others find their way and feel sure as they go.
First, you need to make a clear plan. Moving to another country might look like a fast choice when you watch travel vlogs or listen to stories from friends. But real success takes some work before you go. I had to read about areas in Bangkok, look into the cost of living, learn a few Thai words, and set some money goals. Being ready and staying on top of things helped me feel less stress. It also helped me keep my eye on what is most key: building a steady way to live in a new place.
One of the biggest challenges for young expats is how to deal with too much going on around them. Bangkok is full of life all the time. There are busy markets, street food everywhere, neon signs, and a lot happening every day and night. All this can feel exciting, but it can be too much if you are not ready for it. My advice is to take care of your mind first. Try to set up some habits that help you feel calm when things feel too much. It can be a morning walk in a park that is quiet or maybe sitting on your balcony at night and watching the sunset. Try to make little habits like this, as they can help you feel steady.
Picking a place to live is also very important. When I got to Bangkok, I first rented an apartment by a highway. The area was loud, but the rent was cheap and I could move in fast. After some time, I saw that being close to where you want to go matters more than a fancy apartment. This is true if you want to see the city and not just stay at home. Try to find a place close to the MRT or BTS lines. It will help you get around the city better, save time, and cut down how much you pay to travel.
If you are thinking about living with others or getting your own place, both have good and bad parts. Living with others can help save money, and you get to meet people and share things. But, if you want more privacy or need your own place for work or quiet time, living alone is better for that. When I had my own condo, I liked the freedom I had. I did not have to worry about the way other people lived or when they came and went.
Budgeting is important no matter how much money you make. For me, as an expat living on $470 each month, it is even more true. You do not have to give up everything that is good to save money. You just need to think about what is most important to you. Sometimes, it is better to choose food that is better for you, even if you get a little less of it. Or you can pick things that do not cost, like spending the day at a public park or enjoying a rooftop garden, instead of going to places where you have to pay to have fun.
Food was one area where careful planning really helped. I cooked at home a lot. I used local things from the markets. This kept the costs low. It let me enjoy real Thai dishes many times. Eating out was not something I did every day. It became a treat for me. I could enjoy local food now and then. This way, I got to try new things and save money at the same time.
Transportation tip: use low-cost choices like renting a motorbike if you feel okay to ride one. You can also take public buses or use the airport city train to get around quickly. Always be safe and wear a helmet when you ride a motorbike.
Meeting people in Thailand can feel hard at the start. The new language also makes it tough. But if you keep trying, things get better. I found that simple Thai words go a long way. My neighbors were friendlier when they saw that I tried, not just when I smiled and used English.
Taking part in things in the area was a help. Going to language practice events or street parties brought me closer to people. I also joined online groups for people living in Thailand from other places. This made friends come slowly, but it worked well for me.
Getting used to Thailand’s friendly way means you need to be patient. You also have to be open to trying new things, even if they feel new or unsure at first. For example, you can try different foods even if you are not sure about them. You can also talk with people who live there by smiling when you say hello to them. Doing these things helps you feel a part of the community.
Safety needs to be a top focus when you live abroad. This is not only for your body but for your mind, too. In tall buildings where earthquakes happen, even small shakes, secure your things and learn emergency steps. This can really help during sudden events, even if you feel these things may not happen first.
Taking care of feeling alone was one of my biggest problems at the start. I would miss family dinners from back home a lot, even if I did love my new life abroad. To help with this, I made routines around my work during the week. Then on weekends, I spent time going to new parts of the city or showed up at local meetups. Sometimes this was just one other person with me at first, but after some time, these moments helped me make real friends. I also kept in touch with family often by using video calls. This gave me a good feeling inside and helped me feel close to where I came from.
Now comes maybe the most important advice: stay persistent but also be open to changes. Tenacity helps you move forward even when things do not go as planned, like missing a train or running into a language barrier. But being able to adjust means you can make changes when you need to, and still focus on your goals. Remember why you started this journey in the first place. It was to grow, both as a person and in your job, to learn something new, and to see places in Southeast Asia. You will face problems along the way, but every challenge teaches you something useful and shapes who you are as an expat and as a person. Have patience with yourself and trust the steps you are taking, because these are the main things you need to succeed in this new place.
I want to say that moving abroad is not just about saving money or looking for adventure. It is about changing your life. You get to go past your fears, doubt, and things that feel easy. You may find strength that you did not know was there. If you keep going, stay open, and learn from what comes, you will get to see not just great places, but you will learn a lot about yourself. And in the end, that is what can make any trip special.
So, my message to people who want to move abroad is simple. Do not wait for everything to be perfect or for the right time. Be bold. Find out all the things you need to know. Take small steps. Remember, you have what it takes to build a good life any place in the world. If you hold on to your goals, things you enjoy, and your wish to grow, the future will open up in a good way for you. Bangkok is ready for you, with new chances and many things to do. Enjoy every moment, every lesson, and every person you meet. Keep going on your path to freedom and happiness. "Bangkok Bound at 20" is more than a name. It is a call to live without fear, chase your dreams, and welcome all the things that come to you.
Comments
Post a Comment